- A "special" IPA, Apex, from Bear Republic is bottled and has already begun hitting the shelves. From Bear Republic: "This beer is a culmination of years of brewing and drinking hop forward IPAs. We reserve the right to move forward, to advance the style to the next Apex."
- Last week Coronado Brewing released a barrel-aged version of Stupid Stout. This is part of their "Coronado Collection" and is released exclusively from the brewery.
- "After her two year nap, Madame Rose (Oude Flanders) is coming out of barrels today!" I will be interested to see how Madame stacks up again Goose Island's Gillian (BAR: 6.21, Style+: 112) , clearly the favorite of the two sister releases so far.
- Did anyone in Chicago notice that Surly's Darkness (Russian Imperial Stout, BAR: 7.81, Style+: 108) has arrived? According to their post, it was a first for them.
- Credit to Alex: "Alchemist planning to release beers other than Heady Topper in cans soon." Focal Banger is "an American IPA brewed with Mosaic and Citra" and originally brewed at their first pub and will be the next beer canned once they find a location for their second brewery. Also in the blog, John mentions that they have gone back and rewritten some recipes of original beers that were lost due to the flooding.
- Drakes Hopocalypse 2014 will be the unofficial start to SF Beer Week (for me at least) come Saturday, February 1st. There will be 3 offerings: Hopocalypse-Green Label (Double IPA), Hopocalypse Black Label (Triple IPA) and Post Hopocalypse (Small Beer).
I was really surprised by the BG ratings when I looked up this one. Usually, Evil Cousin is not hard to come by here in the East Bay, so I don't know why it had been so long since my last "Cousin." It was enjoyable, and a very underappreciated DIPA (considering the rankings). With a name like Evil Cousin, from a brewery called "Heretic," the beer fits the name... Well, I guess I'm with the 'Cousin then too.
Thanks to user Blink on Wiki Commons for the header image.
You can find me here on both Untappd & Twitter. Cheers!