Today is Sort By Style+ Day at BeerGraphs, so let's do this thing. Add up all the pale ale variants -- English, Australian, American, Double, Triple, Black, Imperial -- and then sort by Style+. Do you see it?
Come on people. Listen, I know beer is fun. And craft beer is irreverant. But don't you want just a little bit of professionalism in your brand? I mean... look at some of these beer names:
- Everybody Get Nikkid
- Bier Und Shizz
- Mad Decent
- Ruining IPA For Everybody
- I.P.A. Fu...cking Perfect Harvest
These are top-25 beers by Style+! And yet. It's not surprising -- not at all -- that these beers all disappear when you click the "Popular Beers" filter on. There's a fundamental difference between those titles above and then the weirdest popular beer titles in the top 25 popular beers by Style+:
- Zombie Dust
- pseudo Sue
- Fuzzy Baby Ducks
- What is Enlightenment?
- Horns Ups
Right? Perhaps there should be a ten-step process to double-checking the name of your new Sure To Change Craft Beer Forever IPA. If you answer yes to any of these things, return to step one and begin again.
- Is there a cuss word in your title?
- Have you combined three different languages, one not real, in your title?
- Does your title include slang words from another decade?
- Is your title a sentence, and if it is, is it inane?
- Is there an obvious reference to sex in the title? (Labels depend on tastefulness)
- Do any of the words in your title end in z?
- Could you ask your mother for this beer without being embarassed?
- Would your beer name stick out (in a bad way) if it was put next to the other beers you produce?
- Does your title play off the word hops? If so, can you at least make sure that particular play on words has not been done at least five times before?
- Ask your most negative friend what he thinks. Did he say anything about punching you in the face?
This has been a Craft Beer Name Intervention.